Thursday, February 11, 2010

Coverstitch practice

I have a few king-size pillowcases. I'm never going to have those extra long pillows, so the I decided to cut off the excess length on the cases and serge the hems with coverstitch. It was good practice, but the pillowcases are a knit fabric which made it somewhat difficult.

I wanted the double seam to show on the right side, so I had to maneuver the folded raw edge on the underside. I guess I need the coverstitch hemming foot because it was very awkward the way I did it. So now I wonder should I buy the whole coverstitch kit to the tune of $200+, or just get the hemming foot.

Serging on a finished piece is always problematic because again you can't start & stop gracefully in the middle of a finished piece. With my pillowcases, my coverstitch hem began and ended 3 inches from the end of the case. So I just serged into it from the end and serged off to the end, making an extra curving double seam into the hem. It doesn't look too bad.

I also fine-tuned my coverstitch looper, noticing that I'd missed one hook in the threading below. The stitch looked better after that. I went back and tried the pintuck foot again, and the pintucks looked a little nicer too.

No comments:

Post a Comment